The Scottish Public Health Network is open to everyone in Scotland who has a professional interest and significant involvement in the wider public health agenda including staff from the NHS, local authorities, academia and others.
Participation is centred round specific projects which will involve multiple organisations and disciplines. Anybody who wishes to be part of ScotPHN where appropriate may do so.
The work programme is generated from the public health community in Scotland.
Aims of ScotPHN:
- To undertake prioritised national pieces of work where there is a clearly identified need.
- To facilitate information exchange between public health practitioners, link with other networks and share learning.
- To create effective communication amongst professionals and the public to allow efficient co-ordination of public health activity.
- To support and enhance the capabilities and functionality of the Scottish Directors of Public Health Group.
The ScotPHN is hosted by NHS Health Scotland and is accountable to the Directors of Public Health.
A small team supports the work ScotPHN undertakes:
- Lead Consultant – Phil Mackie
- Manager – Ann Conacher
- Researcher – Julie Arnot
- Network Officer- Gillian McCartney
- Co-ordinators and administration – Emma Scarlett (currently on Maternity Leave), Ryan Hughes and Kate McCartney
ScotPHN’s governance arrangements have been updated with the formation of Executive and Advisory Groups (2014). These groups are responsible for monitoring the delivery of ScotPHN’s work programme and its quality assurance.
Executive and Advisory Groups
The Executive and Advisory Groups include representation from key constituencies in public health. The chair is usually a Director of Public Health; the current chair is Linda de Caestecker. The constituencies and current representatives are available on this page.
ScotPHN provides the secretariat to:
- Scottish Directors of Public Health Group
- Consultants in Dental Public Health and Chief Administrative Dental Officers Group
- Scottish Health Promotion Managers Group